Photobucket

Friday, December 21, 2007

remaking history


Being a student worker actually isn't all that bad.  I swear I'm going to join the IHateFilingClub which is advertised on every single Pendaflex box ever made (well.. at least since the internet became popularized). I've left work with several papercuts after one sitting and I've never relied so much on coffee that someone else made or imeem.com to keep me awake. But that's besides the point...

I understand the importance and problem with inciting a critical gaze. I know that people only like to look at pretty things, or shiny things or colorful things. I dig that, I do it too. So I thought I'd share with you one of the hapless benefits of having to post pictures as representation. I was asked to choose images for the cover of a department manual. Imagine my shock when my boss was so flexible, careless even, about giving me such a heavy task.

Here is last year's cover (I didn't make it):


Uhm... wtf. So... I'm gunna say that the pictures above are from the Civil War or they're just other images corresponding to European/Western events in white peoples' history. There's a fucking picture of U.S. currency with a fuckin American flag on it. If this is history as of 2007-2008, then I'm going to change it.

So I was like EFF THAT! Here's my cover!



(left to right, top to bottom)

#1: a political cartoon found in one of my favorite books, The Forbidden Book, "Kill Everyone Over 10"
#2: 1989: a lone protester in  China's Tiananmen Square stopping the People's Liberation Army
#3: a march for the Women's Suffrage Movement
#4: an "upside-down" map of the world 
#5: 1963 Civil Rights March on Washington
#6: the real/forgotten founding fathers - Chief Joseph, Sitting Bull, Geronimo, Red Cloud

There are problems with the events I've chosen, too. I know. I just wanted to re-focus and perhaps get at beginning to remove the colorblind lens that people use when they think about history.

Yes, world, I am going to change history.

x_magsalita.



Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]