Photobucket

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

BRAVE new VOICES

Click here for event details.



Two HEELLLAA dope events are taking place in the Bay this weekend and I can't even be there. The Brave New Voices Festival is down the street from my own neighborhood in San Jose! WTF! I hope that at least someone I know can make it.

Special guests at the event include Kelly Zen-Yie Tsai (who has been featured on this blog before), Saul Williams, and Beau Sia. I would freak out if I met them. I was fortunate enough to meet Kelly in NYC this past June. I also met Marlon Esguerra and I hella cried in happiness when I did. I didn't think I would but I respect these people and their words so much that my tears let themselves out in joy. Giving voice to self is incredibly difficult - another reason why spoken word is that much more triumphant yet humbling.

Now that I'm reminded of it, if you haven't seen the movie Slam then I definitely recommend it. Not just because Saul Williams and Beau Sia are in it, but because the cyphers in that film are sooo fresh and real. I never knew that love poems would make soul-soothing cypher material until I saw this film.

x_magsalita.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]