Photobucket

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

"Some say I like to live in constant crisis, but I think I just actually give a shit."



After watching this movie, I think I've finally figured out why our world's problems just can't go mainstream - just like how I think Common never should have gone mainstream with that fuckin Gap commercial (hahaha damn that's another story!). Just to give my own brief synopsis, this movie is about the diamond trade and two African men (played by DiCaprio & Hounsou) that pursue their own respective agendas as they both make their paths back to a hidden diamond that Hounsou's character placed near diamond fields when he was caught by the Sierra Leone's Revolutionary United Front (R.U.F.). Along the way, they meet a reporter played by Jennifer Connelly who aid both of these characters by providing them with the tools to achieve their itineraries. Oversimplified, yet there's more here. This movie ultimately brings the problematic process of the diamond trade into visibility (which is already problematic in itself, right?) and also heightens visibility of child soldiers, racism amongst white-skinned Africans and dark-skinned Africans, the U.N. involvement (or lack thereof) and guerrilla groups. I'm all for bringing about awareness but I just feel uneasy and very critical about every shape or form media that attempts to do so. But then how hell are we gunna know things? Well, that's what I have yet to figure out. But my super ultimate problem as to why the mainstream doesn't have the capacity to digest or even react to issues is because an omg-let's-do-something-about-it attitude is quickly is deterred. With what? With statements like "OMG Leo DiCaprio could have done a better job with that accent" and "The ending was pretty cool." Wow, moviegoers.. we are so hung up on our celebrities that we can't even give a shit about what's real outside of our U.S. bubble and our movie theaters.

The Gap commercial is next.

x_magsalita.


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]