Photobucket

Monday, September 11, 2006

The Day The World Stopped Happening.


Do you remember where you were when this happened? I sure do. I was in my freshmen year of high school. Five years ago today, my brother and I were getting ready to go to school and the t.v. show I was watching stopped to give a special news bulletin on the attacks. I remember going to school and saw that most of my classmates were absent that day. I had heard that their parents were afraid that our school would be under attack also. I remember that all after school sports practices were cancelled and all of us student athletes were told to "go home and spend time with our families." I also remember how my then-best friend had to walk home about 20 blocks all by herself when she shoulda asked me for a ride (f.y.i. my school was not exactly located in the friendliest or lowest-crime rated area of town). I remember scaring myself online later that day due to the increase in IMs from all sorts of friends that spread rumors so swiftly. I remember getting pissed off at a friend who joked that the local airport was "blown up." Yeah, said airport was located RIGHT NEXT to my house and I was naturally frightened and angered.
I remember not being safe in my own house. I remember listening to Bush's speech of supposed comfort on Wild 94.9. This was the first time I ever really questioned our government. Everything stopped; I could tell not because the news said so, but because the airplanes at the airport near my house were no longer coming in nor taking off. I remember seeing the same news footage being aired on every single t.v. channel. I remember how afraid I felt when I saw footage of people jumping off of those towers, plunging to their deaths. I remember not having enough discussion of this issue at school. I remember people not even caring, kinda like what still goes on today.

"Remember. I've been thinking about this word a lot lately...At what point does conscience collapse that we forget to re-member ourselves?"


Yes, another line from Yellow Rage.
x_magsalita

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]