Photobucket

Monday, March 19, 2007

Re-evaluation.

So I think I now have more of an idea as to what type of audience I'm typing to and attempt to provoke. Looking back, I don't think I wrote enough to satisfy my own thirst for new news or new perspectives. Being my own toughest critic, I wish that I had more time to think things through or used my time to be more concise or entertaining.

On the eve of presenting this blog to other people (for an official first time), I'm excited and afraid at the same time. For the most part, I think I've achieved the goals I laid out before I started this journey to re-vamp my blog. If anything, I think I forgot to comment on books or short stories I've read (but that doesn't mean I haven't read any, haha!)

My generation is constantly being called Generation Y. Why? After reading various youth articles, some people in my age group even refer to our entire cohort as Generation Y. Some call us the MTV Generation. I think that's even worse (although I do love me some MTV) for several reasons: 1) we will be known for sitting on our asses in front of a television set, 2-10) we will be subjugated by images of super sweet sixteens, dating shows, short skirts, hook-ups, sadistic comedy, and token documentaries of unique lives especially if one has a disability, a lifestyle that strays away from the norm or, if we're lucky, the rare do-good type.


I think that it's safe to say the I am a part of a blogging era. I like to think that blogs are an extra nonphysical space that allows my peers and I to see our names and thoughts in permanent print; a place away from diaries and journals and a step up from repressed words and beyond other peoples' expectations of our capabilities. I like that... acting, doing and simply being beyond other peoples' expectations.

We need to define ourselves. I've been in numberous situations where my age group (18-24) was still referred to as "kids." My response to that is... I don't think "kids" would be so invested in dictating our futures or spawn such interest in current events, the problems of our world or the pedagogy of our education.

So, like I said, we need a re-evaluation.


x_magsalita.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
thanks for linking to my blog, and to GABNet and Kelly's stuff!

Might I ask if I know you? If not, that's great- always nice to meet more brothers and sisters in the struggle.

Peace.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]