Photobucket

Thursday, June 19, 2008

trends i'm done with

It's June - the time of year for semi-annual sales at your local mall. You won't find me camped outside like it's Christmastime and a new gaming console is on the brink of release. Especially not when it's hella hot and the 80 degree (Fahrenheit) days and high gas prices dictate your level of activity, or lethargy. I'm not the type to go to great lengths to spend time to save bank. I don't like to hop on trends, I've always been a firm believer in wearing what you feel. But you know, just act right. If shit don't match, it should be apparent in the mirror. Or, if you don't feel right in it, then don't force it. Everyday's a new day and a new outfit. That's why I can't get with some trends. I understand that certain trends aren't flattering for some people. I understand that there shouldn't be one universal or standard body shape or image. But there are a few things I couldn't keep quiet about:

1) Ethnic Cuff

Charlotte Russe stores know this item as the 'ethnic cuff.' WTF. 
The reality/history: Indigenous peoples used geometric shapes, used bold colors, drew decorative art on bodies, tattooed, etc. sometimes to maintain cultural identity as they traveled and dispersed. We see this practiced today with Henna tattoos, Kente cloth, Zarape blankets and Polynesian tattoos - all of which are deemed 'ethnic'. Jewelry attempting to emulate (or mock) legacies of honor fall short. 

2) Top or Bottom?



You tell me. I really can't tell these days. 
These tops are either really really long or hella short dresses. Either way, I can't get down. There has to be another way to fight the confusion and avoid another jeans and shin protectors boots outfit. 

3) Bubble Wrap

Bubble-gum colored.
For your flavorite disproportions. Why would anyone want to look mid- or bottom-heavy?
 It's like... buying a top with a muffin top included. 

4) Activist Hats


I think that one of my best friends said it best...
"You know something's trendy when something that can represent a counter-culture is mass produced and available at Urban Outfitters." Don't wear these in the summertime. 

5) The Morning After Look


It just looks like she belted her man's button-down with his matching tie. 
Definitely not a goodlook.

6) Gladiator Sandals

It's like a re-try at Life for the Jesus sandals, in Gladiator form.

7) My Favorite: Pooh Bear Yellow




Mustard Yellow, Pooh Bear Yellow... does it make a damn difference?
It doesn't work for everyone's skin tone and I just want to put a red cardigan over every girl with this color on.

Homeboy as we know and love him.

This isn't the first time I've had gripes with fashion. Pictures of these gawdy trends were taken from various white-ified sites. And by white-ified, I mean as demonstrated by populations of people who allow themselves to buy into their insecurities by investing in businesses that purport the idea of oneness, of power, of trend, and a standard of beauty and/or body image. Because whiteness is a claim to power and resources and is also the monopolization of market and mind.

P.S. If you own any of these, my bad! Nanay would not be proud. But it's a good read, though, yeah? 

Comments:
"ethnic cuffs"
 
that's racist!
 
umm... so are you giving all your ethnic cuffs, pooh bear yellow clothes and activista caps away to goodwill?
 
indeed. =)
 
Oh whatev, I made you an activist hat upon your request and you liked it! :D
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]